Sunday, September 03, 2006

New Toys

Today was my 46th birthday - the impending (now arrived) landmark that triggered this whole idea.

My wish list was pretty much MTB centric and so the gear collection has a few new additions:

Track Pump. I want to experiment with getting those bigger tyres up to higher pressures. Looking down when I ride, seems to me my back tyre is quite squished even when pumped as much as I can get it with my mini pump, but now I'll be able to see what pressure they're running at and see if I can/should go higher.

Computer. Wanted wireless and wanted cadence, but both together is v expensive, so got wireless with wired cadence. I find it hard to believe that MTB'ers really achieve the kind of cadence I keep seeing quoted as ideal - I can hardly do them on easy gearing on a static bike - but now I'll be able to see.

Hydration Pack. Reeled at the price of CamelBaks, etc then saw this item in Tesco. 2l bladder + 4l storage, main internal + two external zipped + net storage. Push/pull (not bite) valve. How much? wait for it .... £9.50 !!!!

Rear Crud Catcher. stop those muddy lines up the spine.

Bike Clothes. A "proper" biking jersey from my sister, plus two technical fabric tops (Nike and Quicksilver) I found in TK Max for £15 each. Not clear what sport they're designed for but they're lightweight wicking fabric with a bike-style cut and ventilation panels.

Update: You might like to see the update on these items after fitting and first use.

No comments: