Saturday, January 27, 2007

21st January 2007 Extension Exploration

A long week in London at a trade show caused an enforced break from training.

Looking for ways to a) extend my longer weekend ride and b) add in more off-road, I looked for a link between Clatto Reservoir (which I can get to from pretty much the furthest away point of my road route) and Clatto Den, which in turn would link into my series of woodland hops.

This just reminded me me of a Burt Lancaster film where he crosses the affluent LA 'burbs by swimming across the pools in garden after garden. At least that's my memory of the film ...

Anyway ... what started off looking like a path from Clatto Reservoir soon started to look more and more like a deer track - a view that was confirmed when I found the skeleton of one in the ditch at the side of the track. Some time since anything omnivorous this way trod methinks.

Eventually I crossed a barbed wire fence and carried the bike up a fairly high steep banking to get onto a very vague track which did take me round to Clatto farm and the Clatto Hill/Edensmuir Forest woods which is the furthest I ever got in my woodland hop.

My intention next time is to do this in reverse: Through Lochmuir, Kirkforthar, Drummy, and Torloisk woods - find the best link across to Clatto reservoir from there, and return by road. This should increase overall distance and off-road proportion.

No comments: